Sunday, June 28, 2009

10 Steps to Follow for Modelesque Makeup

Let's face it, no one wakes up looking like Gisele Bündchen every morning, us humans actually have to put effort into looking great. Here is a glimpse of my the items in my beauty bag and the 10 steps I follow that will have you looking model-ready for a night out on the town in no time flat (super hot body not included). 

Step 1: To begin any proper make-up application session I recommend using primer. Primer evens out the skin tone, erases pores, and ensures that your make-up will stay in place for hours to come. I trust Smashbox, a company founded by fashion photographers who wanted their models to look camera ready, in the studio and out.  Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer creates a flawless canvas for any make-up application. 

Step 2: I mix Laura Mercier Oil-Free Liquid Foundation with Estée Lauder Amber Bronze Liquid Bronzer for Face and add a drop of Smashbox Artificial Light Luminizing Lotion in Flash. The combination smoothes the skin's surface, covers imperfections, adds a hint of bronze and highlights the bone structure of the face.

Step 3: For someone who takes advantage of any opportunity to sleep, I am still prone to under-eye dark circles, which happen to be one of my biggest pet peeves. Even though everyone else claims they don't "see them," I alleviate my anxiety by using a product I've come to swear by: Benefit Eye Bright

Step 4: No matter what time of year it is, I love being bronzed. Since staving off tanning bedsback in '04 (no one wants wrinkles, or even worse skin cancer!), I've resorted to make-up to give me that goregous glow. Soleil Tan De Chanel Soft Touch Bronzer, in Desert Bronze is my favorite.

Step 5: Contrary to popular belief, blushing is not only a reaction to embarrassment but is also considered an aphrodisiac - blood rushes first to the checks than to the rest of the body, the neck, chest, and so forth down. Studies show that men are attracted to blushing cheeks because they signify innocence. Make-up mimics this look, for irresistible innocence I choose NARS Blush in Desire applied sparingly to the cheek bones. 

Step 6: Back in high school I was the go to gal for a free eye make-up, makeover. Four years later, my famed technique has only improved (with many make-up applications; i.e. practice makes perfect!). What I am using now is Stila Eye Shadow in Kitten as a base. I apply it all over my lid, up to the outer corners of my eyebrows. I also sweep it under the out corners of my eye down to my cheekbones, in a C shape. Next I apply NARS Eye Shadow in Galapagos to the upper and lower creases of my eyes.  What is great about this NARS hue is that the color can be built up, from a soft brown to a deep mahogany, I darken the area between the outer corner of the crease to the outer corners of my eyes. The result: a seductive smoky eye! 

Step 7: Depending on the occasion, I either line my eyes with Lancôme Smoky Eye Liner in Black Ebony, which gives a more subtle look or Stila Smudge Pots in Jet Black, which is darker and more dramatic. 

Step 8: Mascara on the top and bottom lashes opens eyes, allowing more light in to give the appearance of big, wide eyes. I have come to find that convenience store brands are actually more effective at achieving the results I aim for than department stores brands, which is why I use L'Oreal Panoramic Curl Waterproof Mascara in Black for my top lashes after curling them with Tweezerman ProCurl Eyelash Curler and Maybelline The Colossal Volum' Express in Black for my lower lashes. 

Step 9: Isn't it frustrating that the only time eyebrows look perfect are right after your monthly wax appointment? Well luckily, Benefit SpeedBrow tinted brow gel, ensures that your brows look optimal all month long.  

Step 10: Last but not least are the lips. I swear by Labello Lip Balm (not available in the US but Nivea makes an identical version Nivea Lip Care Essential). To finish off the look I apply Chanel Glossimer Lip Gloss in Sundress, a light pink that gives the look of nude lips and offsets dark smoky eyes. 

Goodluck and Happy Make-Uping! 

No comments:

Post a Comment