Tuesday, June 23, 2009

You Have to Start Somewhere

Today has been a day of new beginnings and, unfortunately endings. I had been thinking about starting a blog for a while now, but I have to say the idea intimidated me. After I worked up the courage to brave the land of HTML I embarked on the journey which, had I been more creative and less picky about the domain name and title, would have only taken me 5 minutes, but instead took 5 hours.In between, I met my family at the hospital where my cousin Corinne gave birth to my baby niece this morning. I know what you're thinking, "if she is your cousin, her daughter would be your second cousin." But, my cousins Corinne and Nathaniel are like siblings to me, thus making me the baby's aunt. She weighed in at 8 lbs, which is on the larger side making her more responsive and stronger than many newborns. Debates over the Baby's name have been eminent for a few weeks now and even hours after she is born, "first" on the birth certificate remains blank. Corinne likes the name Liv and Todd likes Charly, the middle name all depends on the first, but will most likely begin with a D or an F, after our Safta Dvora or Corinne's Safta Fella and Todd's grandmother Fay. With deep blue eyes, a button nose, luscious red lips, and atypically soft baby skin, my nameless niece, despite being nameless is one of the most beautiful babies I've ever seen. Corinne is a fellow fashionista and there is no doubt in my mind our newest family member will follow in our footsteps, not to mention, her cousin Addison whose 2 and a 1/2 has left her some unworn goodies, think: Gucci Loafers and Baby Juicy! 

Upon my return home, my best friend of 20 years (mind you, I'm only 22) informed me her 17 year old German Shepherd/Husky Mix, Cassidy was put to sleep. Morgan's family has been rescuing homeless dogs since I can remember. Over the years there was Brinny, Snap, and most recently Bob (yes BOB, short for Bobito, no her family is not Hispanic) the Chiwawa mix who arrived with a mass rescue from Puerto Rico (they thought for some reason it was appropriate to keep Bobito's "given" name, which may have resulted in traumatic stress disorder because he is terrified of anyone besides Morgan and her mom). Nonetheless, Cassie was really a special dog, in her prime she was the watch dog of all watch dogs. Many years ago, over the December holiday break while families were away on vacation, every house on Morgan's block was robbed but hers, Cassie's snarl scared the robbers away. When anyone would enter the house uninvitedly Cassie would react, one time she even nipped our friend's dad! But even at 16 she was active, loyal, and sweet. She lived longer than any big-sized dog I've ever known and I am certain she had an incredible life filled with anything a dog could wish for and more (i.e. Morgan's mom had special dog food shipped from the Midwest)! What is most important now is that she is no longer suffering. The sadness one feels from losing a pet is like losing a member of the family and I am so upset that Morgan and her family have to endure it, but she happens to be one of the strongest people I know and I am sure she will be okay in due time. I love you Morgs. (PS. Pics of Cassie are on there way). 

Today was an eventful day with little leisure time. Posts on fashion and beauty to come... Stay tuned! 



1 comment:

  1. Great post! Can't wait to see what else you write. You're incredible.

    ReplyDelete